Four goals in 13 minutes helps Team Wellington beat Waitakere to go top of SSP

Six second-half goals has seen Team Wellington blast past Waitakere United to the top of the Stirling Sports Premiership ladder.

It was all going so well for Waitakere at David Farrington Park in Wellington on Sunday, going 2-0 up in the first 21 minutes, but four goals between minutes 57 and 70 from Team Wellington sent them to a 7-2 victory.

Wellington coach Jose Figueira was frustrated by another slow start again, but understandably pleased with the remarkable comeback.

Team Wellington's Guillermo Moretti (R) celebrates a goal with team-mates Tom Jackson (L) and Nicolas Zambrano.

"We made a tactical change at halftime and shortly after Waitakere changed their shape as well, which I felt kind of fell into our hands.

"We took advantage of those spaces and really started to cause them a lot of problems. We've been saying for a few weeks we've been creating a lot of chances in games, we were ready to knock a few in, and it was great to see that today in a big game as well."

Waitakere's David Parkinson walks away dejected after a Team Wellington goal on Sunday.

Waitakere had looked good value for their lead when Keegan Linderboom volleyed home from a freekick to open the scoring and Jake Butler tucked away a neat finish from the edge of the box to double the lead.

Leo Villa got Team Wellington back into the game with a peach of a goal from about 25 metres out in the 26th minute.

The score remained 2-1 until halftime before an error from Waitakere goalkeeper Pirmin Strasser gifted Ben Harris an equaliser 12 minutes into the second half and started the rout. Strasser was booked for running to the referee to claim he had been impeded by a Wellington attacker.

Four minutes later Team Wellington took the lead with a Harris penalty, before Harris completed his hat-trick when chipping Strasser from a narrow angle.

Waitakere looked down and out at that point and Team Wellington stuck the boot in. Goals to Tom Jackson, Guillermo Morreti and Nicolas Zambrano completed Waitakere's embarrassment as the hosts scored seven unanswered goals.

The win moved Team Wellington level with Eastern Suburbs on 27 points at the top of the table, with Waitakere two points back.

Auckland City are lurking three points behind that pair with two games in hand after 2-0 win over the Wellington Phoenix reserves on Sunday. 

Fabrizio Tavano opened the scoring in the first 10 minutes before Clayton Lewis scored a penalty in the second half.

In Sunday's other matches, Canterbury United beat Hawke's Bay United 2-1, while Tasman United got their second win of the season with a 1-0 triumph over Hamilton Wanderers. Eastern Suburbs beat Southern United 1-0 on Saturday.

In a nice touch, every game of the round saw one minute of applause to celebrate the life of former All White Steve Sumner, who died during the week.


Team Wellington 7 (Ben Harris 3 (pen), Leo Villa, Tom Jackson, Guillermo Moretti, Nicolas Zambrano) Waitakere United 2 (Keegan Linderboom, Jake Butler). HT: 1-2

Auckland City 2 (Fabrizio Tavano, Clayton Lewis) Wellington Phoenix reserves 0 (). HT: 1-0

Canterbury United 2 (Aaron Clapham, Juan Chang) Hawke's Bay United 1 (Ross Willox). HT: 0-1

Tasman United 1 (Ermal Hajdari) Hamilton Wanderers 0 HT: 1-0.

Eastern Suburbs 1 (Jordan Vale) Southern United 0 HT: 0-0

Standings: Team Wellington 27, Suburbs 27, Waitakere 25, Canterbury 24,  Auckland 24, Hawke's Bay 23, Phoenix 19, Hamilton 13, Tasman 11, Southern 10

 - Stuff