Hawkes Bay claim key win

Hawke’s Bay United took an important ASB Premiership victory over 10-man Team Wellington on Sunday, recording a 2-0 win to move second in the standings.

A goal in each half at David Farrington Park propelled the visitors to victory, Thomas Biss scoring early the first half while Fabien Kurimata made the game safe with a 74th minute strike.

Matters were made worse for Team Wellington with the dismissal of captain Cole Peverley for a second caution a minute after Kurimata’s goal.

Brett Angell’s Hawke’s Bay side now sit second in the competition on 27 points, five adrift of leaders Auckland City FC and three ahead of Team Wellington on 24.

The visitors took an early sixth minute lead when Biss was on hand to tap home after Team Wellington ‘keeper Scott Basalaj saved well from new Hawke’s Bay recruit Andrew Blake.

The hosts responded to going behind by created a number chances before the 25th minute mark, all of which went untaken as Tom Jackson couldn’t guide two efforts on target and Bill Robertson was denied by a Basalaj save.

At the other end Fabien Kurimata brought another save out of Basalaj in the 21st minute and the next notable chance of the half came for Team Wellington when Luis Corrales blasted a shot over the bar after the ball had fallen to the front man after a goal mouth scramble.

Basalaj was again called into action in first half stoppage time, this time denying Cory Chettleburgh’s free kick.

Angell’s side started well in the second period, Kurimata volleying wide from the edge of the box before Biss headed over a Sam Mason-Smith cross inside the first 10 minutes.

Corrales then responded at the other end for Team Wellington but having rounded Hawke’s Bay ‘keeper Josh Hill the striker was called back for offside.

Team Wellington threatened again in the 65th minute, Peverley delivering a free kick to the back post where league Golden Boot leader Ben Harris could only divert the ball into the side netting. Six minutes later, Harris was close again after a weaving run the Team Wellington marksman had his shot cleared off the line.

That proved important only a few minutes later when Kurimata volleyed in from 15 yards to extend the Hawke’s Bay United lead to 2-0 before Peverley earned his second caution and was dismissed by referee Chris Kerr with 15 minutes on the clock.

Hawke’s Bay had further chances to add to their margin in the closing stages, first via a Biss cross which hit the Team Wellington cross bar and then Basalaj again standing tall to deny a Blake effort.

ASB Premiership 2015-16 – Round 13
Sunday 21 February

Team Wellington 0-2 Hawke’s Bay United (half: 0-1)
HB: Thomas Biss 6’, Fabien Kurimata 74’

Red card: Cole Peverley (TW – second caution) 75’